Bhopal is one of those metropolitans in India that can offer you some of the best sites to explore. Not just aesthetically but the sites that you will get to explore in Bhopal are historically very significant as well.
It has a long history of being ruled by Hindu kings and then nawabs and finally by begums! It is a city with a rich history that still speaks of the bygone era. In order for you to enjoy a trip here, you must make arrangements for a comfortable stay in a luxury hotel in Bhopal. Once you have your accommodation in order, here are some of the places that you must visit in order to explore the city in its entirety:
- The Bhimbetka Caves: Though not situated within the four walls of the city, this series of caves are spread over a large area, about 46kms away from Bhopal. This is a must visit place for you when in Bhopal. These caves which were discovered by accident actually stand as a testimony to the evolution of man. Some of the etchings and paintings in the caves are as old as the early man and they throw light on how the early man lived and spent his time! Sounds interesting, right? Just book a car from any one of the Bhopal hotels where you will be staying and then you can travel to this place with ease.
- Upper Lake and the Lower Lake: Also, known as the Bara Talab and the Chota Talab, these two lakes are the pride of Bhopal. The Upper Lake, which is the more important one, was built during the rule of Raja Bhoja in order to solve the water problems of this region. It is an artificial lake that provides water to different parts of the city. You can enjoy boating activities in this lake as well with your family and friends during your trip.
- Van Vihar National Park: If you want to get a taste of the natural flora and fauna of this region right in the heart of the city, then you can visit the Van Vihar National Park. There are more than 200 species of plants and animals in this national park and hence and if you are a nature lover then this will be your perfect retreat in Bhopal.
- The Bhojpur Temple: This is another architectural wonder in Bhopal that is bound to astonish you. This temple, which is believed to have been built during the 11th century, is an incomplete one but it still draws plenty of devotees and tourists to it because of the 18feet long Shivlinga that has been carved out of a single rock that is worshipped here!
- Taj ul Masjid: This is the largest mosque in Bhopal. Just ask one the staff at one of the hotels in Bhopal where you will be staying and get directions to this mosque. It has a very large compound and is ideal for prayers and meditation.
These are some of the top places in the city of nawabs, Bhopal that you should explore. So, when you plan your trip to this city, keep these places as a part of your itinerary.